clear sky
Sa 23.11.
5/8°
cloudy
Su 24.11.
5/10°
overcast
Mo 25.11.
4/8°

Štěchovice Waterworks

The Štěchovice Dam, evidently the most beautiful of all the steps on the Vltava cascade due to the way it is incorporated into the landscape and thanks to the granite facing of the entire structure, was built during the years 1937 to 1945. Today, its primary purpose is to equalise the irregular flow of the effluent from the Slapy hydroelectric power station and subsequently smoothly release it into the Vrané reservoir, and of course, also the generation of electricity.

The artificial lake, which reaches all the way to the Slapy Waterworks dam, is 9.4 km long and has a volume of 11.2 million m³ of water.

The straight concrete gravitational dam faced with granite blocks is 124 metres long, 22.5 metres high, and has five closable overflow spans each 20 metres wide. A road does not lead across the dam. A floodgate spillway with an opening of 7 x 7 metres is located at the base of the dam under the central overflow span. It can be utilised for completely draining the reservoir. It was utilised for allowing rafts and other vessels to pass through during the construction of the dam.

The lock on the right bank is 12 metres wide and 118 metres long and has the capacity to transport vessels having displacements of up to 1,000 tonnes. The lock overcomes a water level difference of up to 20.1 metres. Literally unique in Europe are its upper strut gates that are 24 metres high, which is an extraordinary height when it comes to this type of structure.

There are two hydroelectric power stations operating in Štěchovice: The medium-pressure flow-through one, with two Kaplan turbines with an output of 2 x 11.25 MW, generates electricity during peak loads. The favourable configuration of the terrain surrounding the dam enabled the construction of another transfer high-pressure hydroelectric power station with a water gradient of 220 metres and with a storage reservoir on Homole Hill. After its reconstruction during the years 1992 to 1996, this power station is now equipped with one modern reversible Francis turbine with a generator with an output of 45 MW (at a water flow rate of 24 m³ per second).