overcast
Fr 15.11.
3/11°
cloudy
Sa 16.11.
8/11°
overcast
Su 17.11.
6/13°

Selected towns and villages on the Lower Vltava

Kamýk nad Vltavou

This town in the Vltava River valley was founded by the Přemysl family at the end of the 10th century. Since the 17th century, this village has had a school, hospital, brewery, etc. A bridge was built in 1887. Significant changes in the life of the village occurred in connection with the building of a dam with a hydroelectric power station during the years 1956 to 1962.

Štěchovice

The first mention of this market-town dates back to the year 1209. Both banks of the Vltava, into which flows the Kocába stream from the left, are connected by the Dr. E. Beneš concrete bridge, completed at the beginning of World War II. The town has the architectonically valuable Art Nouveau Church of St. John of Nepomuk. A dam with a hydroelectric power station and lock was built not far downstream during the years 1938 – 1945.

Davle

This market-town is located 20 km south of Prague at the confluence of the Vltava and Sázava Rivers. It was founded, most likely, in 999 and its importance arises from its favourable location at the crossroads of water routes and land routes. Gold was mined here in the 13th century. Two bridges span the Vltava in Davle.

Zbraslav

This former town, a Prague district since 1974, spreads out between the Vltava and Berounka Rivers. The first written records of Zbraslav come from the year 1115. In 1292, Wenceslas II founded a Cistercian monastery here. The writer Vladislav Vančura worked as a doctor in Zbraslav starting in 1921.

Prague

The capital city of the Czech Republic is the largest city due to its area (496 km²) and its population (1,237,893 – March 2009). This is the seat of the president of the country, the government, and other institutions. At the beginning of the 10th century, a princely palace was built on a promontory above the Vltava that became the foundation for the future Prague Castle, from which the Přemysl princes began administering the country. Gradually as time passed, Prague became the economic, administrative and cultural centre of the country.

Roztoky

(Called Roztoky u Prahy or also Roztoky nad Vltavou) This is a town located north of Prague on the left bank of the Vltava. The first records date back to the year 1233; however, the history of the settlement of this area probably dates back much farther. The exposition of the Museum of Central Bohemia is located in the Roztoky chateau.

Kralupy nad Vltavou

This place, probably settled since antiquity, was first mentioned in writing in the charter of Wenceslas I from the year 1253. Kralupy is an important railway junction of several regional and one main railway route (Prague – Děčín). Kralupy was severely damaged by allied bombing at the end of World War II.

Nelahozeves

This town, which spreads out on the left bank of the Vltava, is primarily famous for being the birthplace of composer Antonín Dvořák. The first preserved records of Nelahozeves come from the year 1253. Nevertheless, this area was already settled in the early Stone Age. The renaissance chateau is an architectonic jewel.

Veltrusy

A former market-town, since 1994 it has had the status of a town in the Mělník District, is located 172 metres above sea level on the right bank of the Vltava and its first records date back to the year 1226. It is primarily famous for its Baroque chateau, which is surrounded by an extensive romantic park.

Mělník

This town, which came into being in the 13th century (although the area already had been settled in Neolithic times), is located above the confluence of the Vltava and Labe (Elbe) Rivers at an altitude of 156 metres above sea level and has the unique skyline of the chateau and the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. It is the centre of the local agricultural region, especially renowned for its cultivation of grapevines.